I had recently seen a recipe on the blog Oh My Veggies that looked absolutely delicious. Oh My Veggies is a blog based on vegetarian/vegan recipes using fresh, seasonal vegetables.
I have been wanting to try butternut squash for some time and decided that the time was perfect!
David was not so sure, but he ate the final result!
One-pot Curried Quinoa with Butternut Squash and Chickpeas
Ingredients: makes 4
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 300-400ml of light coconut milk, (I just used skimmed milk)
- 150 ml of water
- 100g of quinoa, rinsed well
- Salt, plus more to taste
- 450-500g of butternut squash
- 2 mixed peppers (I used red and yellow)
- 150g of frozen vegetables, I used peas and green beans
- 1 400g can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Add the olive oil to a large pot over medium heat. When hot, add the onion and saute until translucent and tender, 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in the curry powder, ginger, turmeric, and cardamom. Sauté for 30 seconds, until fragrant, stirring constantly.
- Add the coconut milk, water, quinoa, butternut swuash and peppers, and 1 teaspoon salt, scraping the bottom of the pot to remove any stuck bits. Bring to a boil and then lower heat to a simmer. Cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the frozen vegetables and chickpeas. Return the lid to the pot and cook for 5-15 minutes more, or until the quinoa is tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- After the quinoa is done, turn off the heat and let sit, covered, until the vegetables and chickpeas are warmed through, 5-6 minutes.
- Taste and add additional lemon juice and salt if desired. Garnish with parsley and serve (optional). I missed this part altogether
I am thankful for David and my mum for attempting to eat my creations, though a few days later, mum said that she would not eat the butternut squash stew again. 😮