Day 8: Today’s focus is our lovely planet, Earth. Currently being exhibited in Liverpool’s Anglican Cathedral is Gaia (the personification of Earth), a seven metre replica by Luke Jerram. Featuring detailed NASA imagery and soundtrack by BAFTA winning Dan Jones. The installation aims to create awe and a profound understanding of the interconnection of all life, and a renewed sense of responsibility for taking care of the environment.
10 facts on the Earth:
- The Earth is the third planet from the sun
- Is 4.5 billion years old
- 70% of the surface is water
- An Earth day is actually 23 hours, 56 minutes and 4 seconds
- A year is 365.2564 days, creating the need for leap years
- The atmosphere is roughly 78% nitrogen and 21% oxygen
- Seasons are created by the Earth’s tilt at 23.4°
- The magnetic field created by the Earth’s core protects us from harmful solar rays
- 20% of the Earth’s O2 is produced by the Amazon Rainforest
- Lightening strikes the Earth up to 100 times per second
What amazing facts of our beautiful planet do you know?
Thanks for reading, and stay wild!
Interesting facts! I’d like to see the earth exhibition.
LikeLiked by 1 person
It was very beautiful 🙂