Day 8: Today’s focus is our lovely planet, Earth. Currently being exhibited in Liverpool’s Anglican Cathedral is Gaia (the personification of Earth), a seven metre replica by Luke Jerram. Featuring detailed NASA imagery and soundtrack by BAFTA winning Dan Jones. The installation aims to create awe and a profound understanding of the interconnection of all life, and a renewed sense of responsibility for taking care of the environment.
10 facts on the Earth:
- The Earth is the third planet from the sun
- Is 4.5 billion years old
- 70% of the surface is water
- An Earth day is actually 23 hours, 56 minutes and 4 seconds
- A year is 365.2564 days, creating the need for leap years
- The atmosphere is roughly 78% nitrogen and 21% oxygen
- Seasons are created by the Earth’s tilt at 23.4°
- The magnetic field created by the Earth’s core protects us from harmful solar rays
- 20% of the Earth’s O2 is produced by the Amazon Rainforest
- Lightening strikes the Earth up to 100 times per second
What amazing facts of our beautiful planet do you know?
Thanks for reading, and stay wild!