I’ve been meaning to do a photo an hour blog for some time, ever since I saw sunshine and celandines post in July. So, I decided to do it for today, 22nd August 2015, though in hindsight I should have chosen a day where I actually did something instead of the usual, same old!
Anyway, I shall endeavour to make some kind of blog out of the pictures I took!
It was an 8am start to the day, as shopping and housework beckoned. This is the stool where I sit and try to make myself pretty each day!
8.00 to 9.00
From 9.00am to 11am David, myself and my mum went shopping at the nearby supermarket.
10.00 to 11.00
9.00 to 10.00
Around 11am we returned home and unpacked the bags of shopping! Thankfully this week’s shop did not total over £100+ as the past weeks have been!!
11.00 to 12.00
Lunch time! While David nibbled on his baguette and I sipped at my soup, we let the six finches out of their aviary and laughed as they flew around the living room! Romeo tried to take my hair (again) and make a nest with it!! 😀
12.00 to 13.00
Weekend lunch is so much more relaxed and longer than work days! The next hour was taken up with drinking coffee!
13.00 to 14.00
Then the hard work had to begin. I vacuumed the floors and cleaned/disinfected the kitchen/bathroom and bedroom! Poor Henry always shivers in fear when he sees me reaching for him as his nose always falls off when I vacuum!!
14.00 to 15.00
3pm and after a showery morning, a break in the clouds gave me and Artie the opportunity to step outside into the garden and enjoy some sun, air and listen to the numerous Honey Bees visiting!
15.00 to 16.00, Anemone flowering
15.00 to 16.00, can you spy Artie?
From 4pm I made a start on preparing for the evening’s meal. During the week I had decided on making Refried Bean Quesadillas with home-made Guacamole. I turned my attention to the Guacamole first having never made it before.
- One red onion, sliced finely
- One chilli, sliced finely
- One avocado, halved, stoned and skin removed, then cut into manageable cubes
- Lime juice, squeeze some juice over the chopped avocado to stop from turning brown
- Coriander leaves (handful, chopped)
- One tomato, chopped
- Chop all ingredients and then mash with a folk/masher/processor to desired consistency
I followed the instructions to the letter. The result was a fresh ‘salad’ like concoction, though David did not like the taste.
Refried Bean Quesadillas.
I found the ingredients only stretched for three people!
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 chilli finely chopped
- 1 yellow finely pepper chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 400g can pinto or kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 8 flour tortillas
- 100g cheddar or Gruyère, coarsely grated (I only used 50g)
- A handful coriander leaves
- 200g tub fresh tomato salsa, plus extra to serve (I didn’t use all the tub)
17.00 to 18.00, ingredients
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan (I just used a pan), and cook the onion and garlic for 2 mins.
- Add the chilli and pepper, and cook for 2 mins.
- Then finally add the cumin and cook for 1 min more.
- Tip in the beans, paprika and a splash of water. Using a potato masher, break the beans down as they warm through to make a rough purée. Season generously
- Spread the refried beans onto 3-4 of the tortillas and scatter over the cheese and coriander.
- Spoon over the salsa, then top with the remaining tortillas to make 3-4 sandwiches.
- Wipe the frying pan with kitchen paper (or use a frying pan), and return to the heat or heat a griddle pan. Cook each sandwich for 1-2 mins on each side until the tortillas are crisp and golden and the cheese is melting.
- Serve warm, cut into wedges, with extra salsa, guacamole and salad.
18.00 to 19.00 The result!
I enjoyed making the guacamole and refried beans. I could have bought shop brands but thought it would be better to try and make them from scratch myself. The dinner was indeed fresh tasting and filling.
For the last hour for the blog. I looked forward to a BBC Prom, of Mahler’s 6th Symphony. I relaxed for the evening listening to sublime music and enjoyed a few Pinot Grigio’s and a dessert of sliced strawberries with yoghurt!
19.00 to 20.00