What a beautiful weekend it has been in the NW of England!
The sun has been shining brightly for the past three days! It has been warm as well, with temperatures peaking at 21/22 degrees C. Though it has felt warmer!
Amongst popping out to sun myself, I have been doing the obvious weekend chores like visiting the supermarket and cleaning the house. On Saturday I even accompanied David to the local tip to dispose of the pile of bricks that had come from the demolished shed. They had been lying in the middle of the yard for over a year! I was glad to be rid of them! Since their departure the yard is finally looking more like a place to unwind in the summer months after a long day!
It has not just been myself enjoying the warm sunny weather, the plants in the garden have all sprouted up and the bees have loved visiting my Scabiosa and today they were seen on my Cat Mint and Honeysuckle!
Saturday, while David was busy pointing the back yard wall. I was listening to Classic FM At the Movies and cooking vegetables for our makeshift Tortilla Pizzas! Friends of ours had posted their pizzas on Facebook earlier in the week which gave me the idea for Saturday’s dinner.
Ingredients for Tortilla Pizza:
- Pack of tortillas
- Tomato purée
- Low fat mozzarella cheese
- One red onion
- One red pepper
- handful of peas and sweetcorn
- Three cloves of garlic
- Handful of fresh oregano for sprinkling (I used leaves from the garden!)
- Smear tomato purée onto one tortilla, leave space at the edges
- Crumple the mozzarella on top
- Then place the vegetables, in any order. You can use meat if you like. David had pepperoni (though not so healthy!)
- Once complete put in oven 200 degrees or gas mark 6 for around 7 minutes or until starts to burn.
- Take out, flake oregano on top and cut into sections. Enjoy! 🙂
Sunday, and David got up at 8am to continue to point the back yard wall. I stayed in bed snoozing until 10am! In the afternoon, after sunning myself I prepared a very easy dish for the left over tortillas.
Ingredients for Spiced Indian Sweet Potato Wraps:
- 3-4 sweet potatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 red chilli, cut finely
- 2 tsp of cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp of garam masala
- 1 red onion thinly diced
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 tsp of sugar
- Mayonnaise or natural yoghurt
- Coriander for garnish
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Toss the sweet potatoes with chilli, 1 tsp oil, cumin seeds, garam masala and plenty of seasoning on a roasting tray. Roast for 25-35 mins, turning wedges halfway, until tender and golden.
- Meanwhile fry onion in remaining oil for a few mins until partly softened, stir in the lime juice and sugar with some seasoning, then turn off the heat.
- Warm tortillas following pack instructions, then assemble by adding a couple of wedges of sweet potato to each, followed by a scattering of onions, a dollop of yoghurt (or mayonnaise) and a small handful of coriander leaves. Roll up and eat.
I enjoyed it, but David didn’t. I gave the rest of the meal to my mum who enjoyed it too! It was spicy but not too spicy! As you may have guessed I am in sweet potato mode of late. Hopefully this week sometime I will be able to make sweet potato and lentil soup!
Who knows what the new week will hold!